I am working on SEO for a hotel related website in these days, and we are doing some (insane) brainstorming for find best way for promoting: can you do just article marketing? Do you need buying some links? What should be better then posting your site into some forum signature? Sorry: in my experience, all these are usually ignored by Google, i.e for promoting your site to top of the SERP.
I think perhaps that "viral" posts could be a good way for starting, if you can write by yourself some content that people like to share with pleasure: just yesterday, by the way, I found How to go viral tutorial, which explains very better the editorial guidelines for doing at best.
Here some interesting detail:
In other word you should need:
- use a good compelling and catchy title;
- use "the list" form (i.e. top 10 things you can do in Rome);
- being topical and timely;
- being comprehensible to everyone;
- use something provocative and/or attractive for people as thumbnail;
- write every single description and title by yourself;
- use sinonyms and rewrite using new work either description than title;
- include big image for the post and the thumbnail, it will be more attractive.
Other way for being attractive shoudl be turning you WP site into a price comparison one', so your (returning) visitors should have a good reason for coming into your site. Use affiliate links and track every single clicks coming from your site!
Here some good price comparison theme and/or plugins for WP:
- Easy Pricing Table, as the name says, seems better for not experienced users;
- Pricing Table Ready! WordPress plugin allow you generate and manage CSS3 pricing table or comparison table with table generator in the easy way : just creates static HTML table for hosting, services or product you would compare or take into the homepage.
- POWr Plan Comparison lets you showcase and compare plans, products and features in a side-by-side display (not tested by me)
- Woo-Commerce + Woo-Commerce Compare List (not yet tested, again)
- WP-ecommerce + WP E-commerce Compare Products: the best way seems to be this: combine two plugins and configure them properly. Also have a look to security on your WP using iThemes Security.